Patent Attorney For Sony Europe
Basingstoke / London / Stuttgart
We look for the risk-takers, the collaborators, the inspired and the inspirational. We want the people who are brave enough to work at the cutting edge and create solutions that will enrich and improve the lives of people across the globe. So, if you want to make the world say wow, let's talk.
The conversation starts here. If this role matches your ambitions and skillset, let's get started with your application. Take a look at our other open positions too. Our many opportunities can lead to infinite possibilities.
Are you an experienced Patent Attorney seeking to join a leading organisation with a highly collaborative environment, where you will be empowered and supported to build strong internal client relationships? That’s what we have here at Sony Europe. So, if this sounds like the right place for you, let’s start your journey with Sony now.
Working within a highly experienced team with supportive leadership, you will set about building and managing your own patent portfolio relating to Sony’s mobile and other business areas. You should be someone who thrives working autonomously, where you have the freedom to operate as a trusted partner to your stakeholder groups, utilising your subject matter expertise to create a strong patent portfolio, while also managing relationships and outputs from external patent attorney firms.
With team members and stakeholder groups located in Basingstoke, Stuttgart and Sweden, you should be someone who can be flexible with travel for business and team meetings when required, and with good notice.
- Manage part of Sony’s 3GPP/telecoms patent portfolio: Be the point of contact for a Sony business division working in the field of 3GPP/telecoms for patent matters including patent filing and 3rd party advice. With strong support from the business, you will actively track the development of multiple 3GPP standards and direct the patent prosecution process to generate value from Sony’s standards contributions and associated patent assets.
- Patent Prosecution and Life Cycle: Direct and control the filing and drafting of patent applications for European R&D related to 3GPP standards, telecoms and other technologies. Determine the scope of protection and authorize the filing, grant and abandonment of patent applications, working closely with external drafting attorneys. The role is not expected to involve new drafting work, but may involve recrafting claims and developing new claims as part of a divisional and continuation strategy. Manage and coordinate the respective patent prosecution work of external patent attorneys on a global basis, including Europe, US and China.
- Patent Enforcement and Licensing Out: Identify competitor products relevant to Sony’s granted patents.
- Defensive 3rd Party Matters: Assist the business to understand scope of 3rd party patents and relevance to the business’s products or intended products.
You will have:
- Degree qualification or equivalent, ideally in an Engineering subject or similar
- Patent Attorney qualification – either fully or partially completed
- Knowledge of patent law and patent prosecution across EP, GB, DE, US, and preferably others
- Experience in an in-house industry patent department, ideally telecommunications/mobile phone technology
If this sounds interesting then please start your journey with Sony now, by applying through our careers page here.
Together, let’s make the world say wow.