The European Patent Office
With almost 7,000 employees, the European Patent Office (EPO) is the second-largest public service institution in Europe. It supports innovation, competitiveness and economic growth across Europe through a commitment to high-quality and efficient services delivered under the European Patent Convention, its founding treaty. It has a yearly budget of €2.3 billion, entirely financed by the fees paid by its users.
The EPO has built and operates the most comprehensive patent databases in the world, representing a unique wealth of information, and has developed powerful search tools that are shared with many partners. As set out in its Strategic Plan 2023, the EPO is fully committed to broadening the European patent system and network, and will continue to support users with state-of-the-art training and services to help them get the most benefit from patent information.
To this end, the EPO plans, in collaboration with its member states, to create a hub for technology transfer in the form of second-generation patent information centres (PATLIB), offering new services and supporting universities, research centres, inventors and SMEs. This revamped PATLIB network will provide a platform for patent offices and other network players to address their service offering to reinforce the effectiveness of the patent system.
Within the Principal Directorate Patent Knowledge, the Directorate Patent Knowledge Promotion will be responsible for the PATLIB 2.0 network and for the promotion and presentation of the EPO's patent knowledge products and services to internal and external stakeholders to increase awareness and help users fully exploit the information available.
For this important mission, the EPO is now seeking to appoint a Director Patent Knowledge Promotion who will report to Principal Director Patent Knowledge.
Your main responsibilities
- Taking the lead in marketing and user support for patent information/patent knowledge products and services
- Actively promoting patent knowledge and overseeing the production and dissemination of promotional materials and related events
- Co-ordinating all PATLIB-related matters, including full access to all means of information and training
- Monitoring and analysing all IP trends and developments and getting future-shaping changes and strategies on track
- Collaborating with stakeholders to ensure alignment with strategic objectives
- Managing a team of IP professionals
- Managing the directorate's budget
- Communicating the management's operational directions and priorities and supporting the Principal Director Patent Knowledge in communicating and implementing change
- Contributing to the EPO's strategy by advising the Principal Director Patent Knowledge, the Chief International and Legal Officer and the Vice President DG 5.
What we expect from you
- In-depth understanding of IP rights and their importance on the market
- Experience and proven track record in promotion and marketing
- Profound and proven understanding of all IP stakeholders and their needs and expectations in Europe and beyond (Asia, Arabic countries and other emerging regions)
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to influence and build sustainable relations with a variety of stakeholders and departments in pursuit of the EPO's strategic goals
- Ability to lead and motivate a team through collaborative and agile working methods
- Diploma of completed studies at master's level or – in exceptional cases – equivalent professional experience.
- Excellent knowledge of one official language (English, French and German) and the ability to understand the other two. In exceptional cases, excellent knowledge of one official language and working knowledge of another. In such cases, the willingness to learn the third language would be required.
- Citizenship of one of the member states of the European Patent Organisation.
Interested in this position?
We are happy to get in touch with you! You can send your application by using the link.
The successful candidate will be selected on the basis of qualifications and relevant experience , supplemented as appropriate by interviews , test and/or a personality questionnnaire. Interviews are expected to take place in calendar week 10/11.
* after deduction of EPO internal tax and before deduction of staff contributions to the social-security and pension schemes.
To foster gender diversity, EPO encourages applications from women.
The EPO is an equal opportunities employer and supports workforce diversity as a signatory to the Diversity Charter (Charta der Vielfalt) since 2010.
All applications for vacant positions will be welcomed and considered on the professional merits of the applicant against the role profile for the position regardless of nationality, ethnic origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, parental responsibilities, age, religion or belief.