Patent Counsel, West Sussex
Reports to: Head Patent Counsel
Location: West Sussex
Purpose of the Job
The Patent Counsel will report to the Head Patent Counsel and assist with all aspects of the IP Function in Ceres Power, working in our R&D/pilot plant facility directly alongside our brilliant inventors and engineers. The role will be varied and stimulating, involving both internal IP generation, portfolio management, IP project management and external competitor due diligence. The role is permanent, full-time and based in Horsham.
The individual will be a fully qualified EP/UK patent attorney with a background in physics, engineering or similar discipline and be at least 5 years PQE. They will have significant experience in an industrial IP department, preferably with some IP licensing/contractual expertise.
The Patent Counsel will be responsible for a technical area within Ceres. They will support the relevant IP Champions and R&D staff providing guidance on all IP matters, including setting IP strategy, IP project management within internal and external projects, managing IP generation and capture as registered and unregistered rights including instructing external counsel, and managing IP risks and opportunities within the product lifetime.
The Patent Counsel will be part of a growing and supportive team of IP analysts, patent engineers and Legal Counsel and, if interested, can also assist the latter with contract and licensing activities. For the right individual, there will be the opportunity for advancement.
You will have:
- 5+ years post qualification experience
- 3+ years of relevant in-house IP management
- Significant prosecution/drafting experience
- IP licensing/contractual expertise
- Expertise with subscription patent & TM databases and other sources of IP intelligence
- Knowledge and experience of IP defence and litigation processes would be an advantage
- Fully qualified EP and/or UK European Patent Attorney
- Physics/Engineering Degree and/or PhD
Applications should be made via the Ceres website:
Ceres Power Limited, Viking House, Foundry Lane, Horsham RH13 5PX, UK