Patent Counsel, London, UK
Achilles Therapeutics is a fast-paced, trail-blazing biotech company developing precisely personalised T cell therapies for oncology indications. We are focused on bringing our ground-breaking science from initial idea to personalised treatment in order to improve the lives of patients suffering from cancer.
As no-one has done before what we are doing, there is no playbook to copy. This means we must innovate, adapt and collaborate across our organisation, working together to solve novel problems. This entrepreneurial spirit and approach runs through our company and those who thrive here are able to cope with anything that is thrown at them, enjoy ambiguity and thrive on making things happen even when there is no detailed brief.
We are seeking an in-house Patent Counsel to support the VP, Intellectual Property in developing IP strategies to protect the company’s technical discoveries and secure our position as a leader in the field. This will entail working closely with teams across all parts of the business – including process development, bioinformatics, manufacturing, translational science and clinical - to harvest new inventions and protect our confidential know how and trade secrets.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a dynamic, innovative, and well-financed company that is entering an exciting period of growth. Reporting directly to the VP, Intellectual Property, you will be highly motivated, organised, personable, with good communication skills, and someone who thrives when given the opportunity to take ownership for key areas and stakeholder relationships. The ideal candidate will have experience of working with direct clients and/or as an in-house attorney and must be capable of working as part of a cross-functional team. They will also need to have intellectual ability, integrity, enthusiasm, and a high level of commercial awareness and professionalism.
The role will be based at our corporate HQ in Hammersmith London, although occasional travel to our sites in Stevenage and The Royal Free Hospital in Hampstead may be required.
- Identify new IP opportunities and carry out patentability assessments for new inventions
- Build the company’s patent portfolio by drafting and prosecuting applications
- Evaluate FTO for the company’s current and future activities
- Advise the business on infringement and validity matters
- Monitor third party patent applications
- Prepare third party observations and oppositions
- Liaise with external patent and legal counsel on prosecution, advisory and contentious matters
- Assist the VP, Intellectual Property in areas such as developing the overall IP strategy, corporate and investment-related activities, and providing internal education and training
- Honours and/or higher degree in a life sciences discipline (e.g. Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Immunology or Bioinformatics) from a well-regarded University
- Qualified as a European and Chartered (UK) Patent Attorney (although “finals standards” candidates would also be considered) and/or as a US patent attorney
- Relevant professional experience, preferably in one or more of the following areas: Cell Therapy, Immunology, Bioinformatics or Medical Devices
- Highly skilled at drafting and prosecution
- Experience of contentious and opinion work would be advantageous
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills, along with the ability to communicate effectively and build relationships with others at all levels of the organization
APPLICATIONS: Please apply for this role via our website: https://achillestx.com/work-with-us (no agencies please)
CONTACT: Inder Rai, Talent Acquisition Business Partner (email@example.com)