Overall purpose of the role:
Excellent opportunity for a talented IP support professional (Patent Paralegal, Patent Secretary, or IP Assistant) to join EIP Bath or Leeds.
Paralegals work closely with their allocated Fee Earner(s), dealing with secretarial and administrative tasks and allowing their Fee Earner(s) to make the best use of their time. They also perform certain aspects of patent and/or trademark work without guidance, and this requires knowledge of the relevant patent, trademark and design application procedures.
We are a dynamic, modern IP practice with an impressive list of direct clients which includes household name tech companies, leading electronic and software companies as well as global manufacturing, life science, food tech and engineering companies.
The business is organized into several practice groups to reflect the various expertise of the attorneys and lawyers at EIP. These include EIP Brands, EIP Dynamics, EIP Elements, EIP Life, EIP Healthtech as well as the class-leading electronics practice, EIP Digital and our award-winning Litigation team which has won the “Managing IP UK Litigation Firm of the Year” three times in a row from 2018 to 2020. EIP’s sector expertise has been recognized in legal directories (Legal 500, Chambers, Juve, IAM Patent 1000, IP Stars, and World Trademark Review) as well as being listed one of Europe’s leading patent firms in the FT where we were rated gold for Electrical Engineering; IT & Software; and Mechanical engineering and bronze for Biotechnology & Food and Chemistry & Pharmaceuticals.
- The firm has a friendly, progressive and mutually supportive working environment along with a smart casual dress policy and stylish modern offices.
- Our unique system of allocating attorneys to paralegals means you are never overloaded with an excessive number of fee earners allowing you to focus on delivering a high-quality service.
- Diversity is an intrinsic part of EIP business culture. We are proud to support the IP Inclusive initiative and we are a signatory to the IP Inclusive Charter. The firm actively engages in diversity efforts and is committed to developing an attitude of openness for the benefit of all those working in the IP profession.
Our fantastic Patent Paralegals have a truly immersive role in support of our top-tier team of attorneys. We operate as one team on a national basis due to our impressive IT systems (as well as our impressive employees!).
- Prepares documents ready for on-line filing of UK, EPO and PCT Forms, plus CTM applications via EUIPO and Madrid Protocol applications (where applicable)
- Updates prior art files, and prepares IDS and Section 8 (where applicable)
- Demonstrates fast accurate typing skills, and excellent spelling, grammar and punctuation
- Prepares correspondence and legal documentation accurately and with minimal supervision
- Understands EIP documents, and ensures documents are named and stored in the correct places
- Understands Records procedures, and forwards correspondence to Records in a timely fashion
- Checks Diary Lists on a regular basis
- Has strong organisational skills, acting on own initiative, highlighting issues and suggesting possible solutions
- Takes ownership of enquiries, resolving or escalating as appropriate
- Organises and prioritises their own workload
- Builds rapport, getting to know the clients they work with, and building professional relationships with key contacts
- Keeps a level-headed approach in a busy working environment
- Actively sources and shares knowledge with others
- Builds a network of strong working relationships both internally and externally
- Demonstrates a client-oriented approach (both for internal and external clients)
- Provides general support to other Fee Earners, and for colleagues (as and when required)
- Attends to any reasonable client-specific requests
- Adds service and official fees to WIP, prepares invoices and other responsible paralegal (RPA) duties
- Prepares standard reporting emails/letters to client, including filing reports, publication, acceptance and grant
- Prepares foreign filing instructions and examination requests
- Follows internal take-on procedures
- Demonstrates good diary management (i.e. arranging meetings, conference calls, etc.)
- Has a professional telephone manner, fielding calls where appropriate, and taking accurate and detailed telephone messages
- Deals with incoming emails, post and faxes and, where authorised to do so, corresponds on behalf of the Fee Earner
- Carries out background research and presents findings, in response to requests from clients and/or Fee Earners
- Raises travel request forms for the Fee Earner, for submission to the Travel Request Team (as and when required)
- Ensures the Fee Earner is well prepared for meetings
- Liaises with clients, suppliers, and other employees across EIP
- Is self-motivated and able to work autonomously
- Takes the initiative to ensure that work is completed in a Fee Earner’s absence
- Provides general support to other Fee Earners, and to other colleagues (as and when required)
- Carries out ‘buddy’ duties (as and when required)
Previous experience working within an IP firm (or a firm that has an IP arm) for around 1 year would be highly desirable. Experience with Inprotech, Document Management Systems, and EPOline would also be beneficial.
We are looking for someone with good time management & organisational skills, and a strong work ethic.
If this sounds like you… please email your CV to Grace Baker via email@example.com to apply.