Patent Attorney, Jealott’s Hill, UK
Syngenta is one of the world’s leading agriculture companies. Our ambition is to help safely feed the world while taking care of the planet. We aim to improve the sustainability, quality and safety of agriculture with world class science and innovative crop solutions. Our technologies enable millions of farmers around the world to make better use of limited agricultural resources. With 28,000 people in more than 90 countries we are working to transform how crops are grown. Through partnerships, collaboration and The Good Growth Plan we are committed to improving farm productivity, rescuing land from degradation, enhancing biodiversity and revitalizing rural communities.
Help protect our discovery of tomorrow’s crop protection products as part of our IP team. In this high-profile, autonomous role, you’ll draft and prosecute patent applications, assess the validity of third party patent rights, and advise on infringement and litigation issues. The role will involve travel to our business headquarters in Basle, Switzerland, and to other overseas sites.
Ideally having a background in organic chemistry, you’ll be a UK/European patent attorney with solid experience of chemical patenting. Well organised and calm under pressure, you’ll have an eye for detail and be able to manage your own workload.
The position will involve all aspects of Crop Protection IP practice with particular emphasis on:
- Drafting patent applications, and worldwide patent filing, prosecution and defence in the area of crop protection-related inventions such as new active compounds, manufacturing processes and formulations.
- Promoting and delivering the innovative use of IP as an integral part of Crop Protection business strategies; developing global, regional and country IP strategies for assigned areas of responsibility.
- Advising the business with respect to freedom-to-operate of projects, products and programs.
- Client counselling, evaluating patent validity and infringement issues, reviewing IP-related agreements and managing an IP portfolio.
- There may also be the opportunity for the right candidate to move into a line management role within a few years.
Essential Knowledge, Experience & Capabilities:
- Fully Qualified European and UK Patent Attorney.
- Degree, preferably PhD, in chemistry with experience dealing with chemical subject matter.
- Excellent oral and written communication, problem solving and organizational skills required.
- Strong interpersonal and team building skills.
- Self-initiative and self-direction, ability to work independently.
- Ability to proactively identify issues, and propose and implement solutions.
- Ability to effectively and constructively interact with various functions at all levels of the organization.
- Some line management experience an advantage.
Syngenta will offer:
- Competitive benefits package
- Up to 31.5 days holiday
- Good onsite facilities, gym, fitness classes, staff restaurant
Syngenta is a leading agriculture company helping to improve global food security by enabling millions of farmers to make better use of available resources.