We have an excellent opportunity for a dual-qualified Patent Attorney to join our award-winning patent attorney team, voted one of the FT's Leading Patent Law Firms 2020.
CMS is a Future Facing firm. With 75 offices in 43 countries and 4,800+ lawyers worldwide, we combine deep sector understanding with a global overview, giving us the ability not only to see what's coming, but to shape it.
CMS is well equipped to help our clients face the future with confidence. We are driven by technology and readily embrace the possibilities it opens up for developing new and better ways of delivering legal services. Our bold approach to a changing future ensures that we nurture our employees and recruit top talent.
About the role
The CMS patent attorney practice disrupts the traditional boutique approach to provide a service that meets the needs of modern business practice.
As a fully functioning patent attorney practice, we advise on everything from drafting and prosecuting patent applications to protect new inventions, analysing third-party patent portfolios and identifying infringement risks when launching a new product, defending and opposing patents in oppositions and appeals; providing freedom-to-operate or investment opinions in due diligence projects; managing large SPC portfolios and devising global patent strategies.
High profile and global life sciences and hi-tech companies trust us to manage their patent portfolios. Microsoft, LinkedIn, Eli Lilly and Kymab are just some examples.
CMS' scale means our patent attorneys, formalities and records teams receive first class training. Always seeking to do things better, we have a culture of questioning how we work so we can constantly improve for our people and our clients. This has led to a great team spirit.
This is a people business, and we have a firm culture of authenticity and inclusivity, encouraging everyone to be 100% themselves. Extensive training opportunities, flexible working and varied social/ D&I networks have contributed to building a committed and talented workforce with high morale. Most importantly, our patent attorney practice is a team that genuinely loves the profession they work in and genuinely enjoys the rewards of working together within a collaborative team.
We are currently looking for a qualified European and UK Patent Attorney to join our thriving team. The role offers great breadth of experience and development opportunities and you will be based in one of our London, Sheffield or Glasgow offices.
Responsibilities will include:
- drafting and filing of patent applications;
- patent prosecution at the European Patent Office and the UK Intellectual Property Office;
- oral proceedings work;
- IP due diligence support for corporate transactions; and
- supervision and training of trainee patent attorneys.
We are looking for candidates with a strong academic record in Physics, Computer Science, or Electrical engineering.
In addition, the ideal candidate will:
- have a Masters and/or PhD in a relevant field and industry experience;
- have a minimum of 3yrs PQE as a qualified Patent Attorney;
- be self-motivated in further developing their knowledge of IP law and patent prosecution work;
- be proactive in undertaking a wide range of work, across diverse technical and legal areas;
- have excellent attention to detail and organisational skills, with experience working under pressure towards tight deadlines whilst maintaining a high level of accuracy;
- be flexible in their attitude and an effective team player, willing to collaborate and build professional relationships across all levels; and
- have excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
At CMS, a next-generation mindset is woven into all we do. We're diverse, supportive and inclusive, embracing our corporate social responsibility and creating a culture of sustainability in which every one of our people, whatever their background, can maximise their potential and thrive.
For further information about CMS' diversity initiatives and programmes, please click here to view the diversity pages on our website.
Please apply online or contact a member of the Talent Acquisition team if you have any questions. For information regarding our competitive range of benefits please visit our Rewards & Benefits page on our website.
Please note that CMS have a preferred agency panel in place. Only applications submitted via the portal at the point of instruction will be accepted. See below.
Mid-Level Patent Attorney 3-5PQE - CMS Careers (cms-cmno.com)