Technical IP Manager
York, GB, YO91 1XY
Business: Nestlé Product Technology Centre (NPTC)
Location: York, North Yorkshire
Salary: Up to £42,000 depending on experience + Potential Bonus + Excellent Benefits
We have a fantastic opportunity for a talented individual to join our NPTC business based in York as a Technical IP Manager. This is a pivotal role that will see you being responsible for our Confectionery IP management globally.
A little bit about us
Based in York, the Nestlé Product Technology Centre (PTC) is part of a global network of Research Centres with NPTC York focusing purely on excellence in confectionery worldwide. Whether chocolate, confectionery or wafer-based treats, the NPTC leads the way in how they're developed, processed and packaged. It's a place where creativity meets practicality, but where being pragmatic doesn't hinder ideas. If anything, it calls for more expertise and ingenuity to make fantastic initial concepts become exceptional industrialised ideas.
A day in the life of...
The purpose of the Technical IP Manager role is to drive technical intellectual property management for our Confectionery research and development hub on a global scale by providing guidance on intellectual property matters, supporting research and development projects to a best in class standard.
Key responsibilities will include:
Innovation & renovation
- Assess the competitive environment across all things science and technology. For example, management of third party patent watch list; provide summaries of competitors’ filing patterns (technology and market wise).
- Manage protection of projects (basic advice regarding whether protection is possible and what type of protection (i.e. TM, design, patent, trade secret etc), prepare state of the art summary; initial top line assessment of likelihood of patent protection.
- Manage the local invention submission process, specifically, liaising with inventors early in the process to prioritise and escalate, as appropriate.
- Facilitate patent searching through preparing internal searches, assisting other people with their searches and preparing search requests (for searching external to R&D)
- Facilitate the patent drafting process as needed (e.g. correlate information available, review prior art, prepare initial drafts etc).
- Assist with the management of the patent portfolio (e.g. preparation of portfolio reviews for deadwood reviews, management of country list and filing jurisdictions etc).
- Work with the Contract Manager/Innovation Lead/Legal to ensure suitable provisions are made for IP ownership in contracts.
- Gather technical information and evidence for use in conflicts such as oppositions and litigation.
- Develop intellectual property related tools and competencies.
- Actively participate in IAM/Legal network to promote cross-fertilization between different R&D units.
What will make you successful?
As the successful candidate, you will already have a breadth of IP experience under your belt. You will thrive when working with stakeholders across all levels coupled with your ability to truly understand our business from a commercial standpoint. You will have fantastic communication skills and understand how to take people on a journey with you. You will love working in an environment that is not always black and white, being able to navigate both yourself and stakeholders to a positive solution and you will also:
- Be educated to degree level (or equivalent) within a Science specialism.
- Have a technical intellectual property background, including IP management experience.
- Have proven exposure to innovation and renovation project management.
What you need to know
We will be considering candidates as they apply, so please don’t delay in submitting your application.
To find out more about Nestlé Product Technology Centre, please visit: www.nestle.co.uk/researchanddevelopment/producttechnologycentreyork
Nestlé UK&I is committed to equal opportunity for all. We may collect relevant data for monitoring as part of our candidate registration process.
Click here to apply.