Senior Patent Attorney, BT, London
Key purposes of the role:
Handle a broad range of IP issues that arise in BT’s business decision making whilst also closely with inventors in BT (in particular those at BT’s global research and development HQ) to identify inventions, draft patent applications and steer those applications to grant around the world, to assist in maintaining BT’s freedom to operate in innovative markets, differentiate its products and services from those of its competitors, help BT earn revenue by licensing and selling its patents, and support BT’s claim for Patent Box tax relief.
What you’ll be doing:
- Working with BT’s world-class researchers to identify inventions and drafting patent applications for them - in fields such as TV distribution, 5G, AI, Internet of Things, Cyber Security, Data Science, Fibre Optics, Future WiFi, Cloud Infrastructure, Network Function Virtualisation/Software-Defined Networks, Big Data and Quantum Technologies
- Steering BT patent applications to grant – in key jurisdictions around the world – in a timely and cost-effective manner
- Providing advice to BT’s patent licensing team in their work to extract value from BT’s patent portfolio, including supporting outbound litigation when required
- Influencing BT’s patent strategy and procedures for obtaining and maintaining BT’s global patent portfolio
- Advising BT people on various IP-related issues impacting major business decisions within BT
- Supporting the defence of incoming patent actions
- Coaching other patent attorneys in BT to keep their knowledge of IP law and practice up-to-date
- Raising levels of understanding and awareness of the commercial impact on IP within BT
The skills & experience you’ll need:
- Qualified European and UK patent attorney with at least three years post-qualification experience
- Ability in a scientific or engineering field (evidenced by a good degree in technical subject), and hence am able to understand the work of BT’s research and development teams
- Ability to assess the value of a granted patent to BT, and to give legal advice on how a patent infringement assertion might be improved
- Ability to generate clear, focussed and accurate arguments at legal hearings concerning patents and patent applications.
In the first 12 months you'll:
- Get to know researchers working in a particular technical field and build expertise in that field
- Draft and prosecute patent applications in that field and others
- Review and strengthen proposed patent assertions against third parties
- Get involved in support of ongoing patent litigation
Why choose us:
Our purpose is to use the power of communications to make a better world. For each other, for our customers, for society and our communities. We need you to help us do this.
So why join our Patents Team in BT’s technology arm? You’ll work with leading researchers from BT and its academic partners in fast-moving technologies whose adoption looks set to change the way we live and work.
To capitalise on its £500m+ annual investment in research and development, BT maintains a portfolio of over 5,000 patents and patent applications which it actively uses as in providing ICT products and services to consumers, businesses and governments, both in the UK and around the world.
BT will offer you the opportunity to take on new challenges and flourish in a career you deserve. We will support, invest in you and provide you with a platform like no other. Join BT’s future…come and help us revolutionise things for our customers.
Opportunities for career progression within BT are only limited by your own ambition. Added to this a fantastic salary and benefits package including free superfast broadband and BT TV, discount on BT products, generous pension, bonus structure, company car and private medical insurance for you and your family.
We value different perspectives, skills and experiences. Diversity makes sense for us, our customers and our ambitions. We’re creating an inclusive working culture where people from all backgrounds can succeed. That’s why we welcome applications from all parts of the community.
How to apply
We are not accepting any application via email so please visit our careers site at https://www.btplc.com/careercentre/ and use the reference 98365 to search for the role to apply.
If you have any issues please reach out to Kathryn.firstname.lastname@example.org but please note that applications to this email address will not be accepted.
Closing date of Friday 12 October 2018